- CLEO/IQEC 2004 to Feature Latest Research, Apps
WASHINGTON, D.C., March 23 -- The latest research in optical metrology, medical and biological optics, active optical sensing, high-field physics and displays and solid-state lighting devices -- and a new collocated meeting, PhAST (Photonic Applications Systems Technologies) -- will be featured at the 2004 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics/International Quantum Electronics Conference (CLEO/IQEC), to be held May 16 to 20 at the Moscone Center West in San Francisco. It will also include a plenary session, 25 tutorials, more than 150 invited speakers and an extensive exhibition.
CLEO/IQEC and PhAST are sponsored by The Optical Society of America (OSA), the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers/Lasers and Electro-Optics Society (IEEE/LEOS), and the American Physical Society (APS).
Presentations will include:
- "Design and Performance Measurement of the Mercury Laser Altimeter," which will review advancements in laser altimeters, including one that will be launched on the Messenger spacecraft to Mercury about the time of CLEO in May.
- "The BioCD: A High-Sensitivity Spinning-Disk Interferometer for Antigen Detection," which will highlight the first time interferometry has been used to detect antigens.
- "Nondestructive Inspection Techniques for Illicit Drugs using Terahertz Iimaging," which will review laser sensing for drug and bomb detection and imaging through packages.
- Photonic Structures as They Exist in Nature - Are They Optimal?
The plenary session, on May 19, will feature Anthony Siegman, Thomas Baer and Theodor Hänsch, who will discuss maser development, optics and photonics in bioscience and ultrabroad optical frequency combs from femtosecond mode locked lasers.
PhAST will debut a format that enables one-on-one interaction after each series of presentations, offering an opportunity to network with some of the industry's foremost leaders in their specialty areas, including lasers in manufacturing and photonics in homeland and national security. PhAST will also include a lunch with eleven distinguished guests from a variety of industries who will share details of their success in areas such as government, intellectual property and working with venture capitalists.
For more information, visit www.cleoconference.org and www.phastconference.org
MORE FROM PHOTONICS MEDIA