- Pirelli Forms Photonics Group
MILAN, Italy, Feb. 4, 2008 -- The Pirelli Group announced it will form a new company by integrating the photonics work of its Broadband Solutions business with the photonics-related research and development activities of the optical innovation division of Pirelli Labs.
The optical innovation division of Pirelli Labs in Milano-Bicocca, Italy, conducts research for telecommunications applications, primarily in the areas of photonics, optical fibers, optical components and chips based on nanotechnology. The new photonics group will seek to develop smaller optical components, optical modules and faster light-based transportation systems, Pirelli said.
Moving photonics out of Pirelli Broadband Solutions will allow that business to concentrate on its five product lines dealing with broadband access, such as access gateways, set-top boxes, dual-mode phones, remote management systems, and extenders, Pirelli said, and focus on gaining market share in Europe outside of Italy. Broadband Solutions was formed by Pirelli Group in 2005.
Pirelli said having both a photonics business and a broadband access business will allow it to consolidate its position in both areas and take advantage of opportunities for international alliances.
Both the new photonics company and Pirelli Broadband Solutions will also continue to collaborate with researchers in the materials innovation division at Pirelli Labs, which conducts research for the tire, environmental and real estate businesses of Pirelli Group.
For more information, visit: www.pirelli.com
- Indicating a capability to deal with a relatively wide spectral bandwidth.
- The use of atoms, molecules and molecular-scale structures to enhance existing technology and develop new materials and devices. The goal of this technology is to manipulate atomic and molecular particles to create devices that are thousands of times smaller and faster than those of the current microtechnologies.
- Pertaining to optics and the phenomena of light.
- The technology of generating and harnessing light and other forms of radiant energy whose quantum unit is the photon. The science includes light emission, transmission, deflection, amplification and detection by optical components and instruments, lasers and other light sources, fiber optics, electro-optical instrumentation, related hardware and electronics, and sophisticated systems. The range of applications of photonics extends from energy generation to detection to communications and...
MORE FROM PHOTONICS MEDIA