- 3M to Showcase 20-Finger Technology at SID
METHUEN, Mass., May 19, 2010 — Many interactive software developers are embracing “multitouch interactivity” as the next-generation personal computing interface, but the limitations of the available two-finger IR and optical camera touch technologies have restricted developers from creating and deploying advanced multitouch applications. To offer customers immersive multifinger interfaces and multiuser applications, developers know they need a more comprehensive multitouch ecosystem. Now, a key technology advancement is available with 3M’s Projected Capacitive Technology (PCT) with 20-finger simultaneous touch at <6 ms response time.
3M Projected Capacitive Technology’s key differences from other multifinger technologies are:
· 20+ finger simultaneous touch response enables more immersive and intuitive applications.
· 6-ms response time (for 20 touches) enables more natural and responsive applications.
· Palm accommodation allows interface manipulation with one or more hands resting on screen.
· 3358 touch points (for a 22-in. display) enable precise draw and edge accuracy for full screen interactivity.
· Antistiction touch surface provides users with smooth and natural draw response.
“The industry’s response to 3M PCT’s advanced multitouch capabilities has been nothing short of astounding,” said Chris Colbert, general manager of 3M Touch Systems. “Touch experts who experience this technology are captivated by its responsiveness and industry-changing potential, which makes us very excited to see the new level of touch interactivity this product will help the industry achieve.”
3M Touch Systems provides touch-screen technology products under the “3M and “MicroTouch” brands. Single touch, gesture touch and multitouch applications include casino gaming, retail point of sale, food service, hospitality, self-service, industrial, health information systems and interactive digital signage.
The company will showcase the new technology at the 2010 Society for Information Display (SID) exhibition May 23-28.
For more information, visit: www.3M.com/touch01
MORE FROM PHOTONICS MEDIA