- Edinburgh Instruments Names New CEO
EDINBURGH, Scotland, July 8, 2010 — Edinburgh Instruments (EI) Ltd., a supplier of lasers, spectrometers and gas sensor equipment, announced today it has hired Alan Faichney as its CEO, effective June 14. EI founder and former CEO S.D. Smith remains as chief scientific officer and as board chairman, the company said.
Faichney spent 21 years at Concept Systems Ltd. as technical director and later as managing director, building the business into one of the leading international suppliers of advanced IT systems and service to the exploration and production industry, EI said.
Following the acquisition of Concept Systems by seismic solutions provider Ion Geophysical in 2004, Faichney joined Ion’s management team as senior vice president of research and development. He left Ion Geophysical in 2008 to join the software company DEM Solutions as chief operating officer.
Established in 1971 as a spinoff from Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh Instruments manufactures photonics and electro-optics products for the medical and biophysical markets, as well as for plasma and semiconductor research, chemical analysis, forensic science, and industrial applications.
For more information, visit: www.edinst.com
- 1. The branch of physics that deals with the use of electrical energy to create or manipulate light waves, generally by changing the refractive index of a light-propagating material;
2. Collectively, the devices used to affect the intersection of electrical energy and light.
Compare with optoelectronics.
- The technology of generating and harnessing light and other forms of radiant energy whose quantum unit is the photon. The science includes light emission, transmission, deflection, amplification and detection by optical components and instruments, lasers and other light sources, fiber optics, electro-optical instrumentation, related hardware and electronics, and sophisticated systems. The range of applications of photonics extends from energy generation to detection to communications and...
- A gas made up of electrons and ions.
MORE FROM PHOTONICS MEDIA