- Advanced Technology Program Awards Announced
The US Department of Commerce's Advanced Technology Program released the list of winners in its 1999 competition. The program selected 37 projects from more than 400 contesting proposals for the awards, which provide cost-sharing funds to industries for research and development. The projects were judged on scientific merit and economic promise.
The awardees included:
• Intevac Inc. of Santa Clara, Calif., for the production of low-light-level cameras for security and law enforcement.
• Sunpower Corp. of Sunnyvale, Calif., for the combination of silicon photocell technology and light concentrators in flat-panel photovoltaic units.
• Informed Diagnostics Inc., also of Sunnyvale, for the development of portable cavity ring-down spectroscopy.
• Picolight Inc. of Boulder, Colo., for the prototyping of miniature fiber optic transceivers.
• Ion Optics Inc. of Waltham, Mass., for the development of infrared microsensors.
• General Electric Co. Corporate Research and Development in Niskayuna, N.Y., for a method of bulk production of gallium nitride crystals.
MORE FROM PHOTONICS MEDIA