PITTSFIELD, Mass., June 7, 2016 — Beacons are the photonics industry's luminaries, guiding scientific, business and consumer communities to embrace optics and photonics technologies. In the upcoming August issue of Photonics Spectra, traditionally referred to as the "reader" issue, we are taking the opportunity to crowdsource deserving professionals who are enabling the success of the industry through their work in five categories, listed below.
Nominate a coworker, mentor, professor, colleague or supervisor by completing a brief survey. Photonics Media's editorial staff will highlight the work of a number of Beacons in Photonics Spectra.
Please submit a separate entry for each Beacon you wish to nominate. Deadline for submissions is July 1, 2016.
• Entrepreneurship: Has started a business that promises to enable a large number of people to benefit from optics and photonics.
• Teaching: Has inspired students, at the undergraduate or post-graduate levels, to pursue careers in optics or photonics or has helped them excel in understanding the subject.
• Research/Leadership: Has demonstrated vision insight that resulted in a significant advancement in optics or photonics.
• Research/Unsung Hero: Has worked tirelessly in the lab and, despite shunning the limelight, has served as the glue for the team that made optical or photonics breakthroughs possible.
• Marketing: Has developed and implemented an ingenious marketing plan that raised the profile of a photonics-related company or its optical or photonics products.