RS Components offers host of optoelectronic devices
Sep. 16, 2010 — I happened to meet up with Shiv Bhambri, CEO of RS Components & Controls (India) Ltd., which is based in NOIDA, near New Delhi, the capital of India.
RS Components is a leading industrial component distributor with a wide range of Industrial products in research and development, maintenance and prototype development. Headquartered in Corby, U.K., RS Components offers its customers the convenience of choosing from a range of over 300,000 world-class products from 2000 leading global brands.
The company’s agenda is to be the most cost-effective and reliable way for its customers to purchase their small-volume products. These are said to be their key differentiators:
• Offering over 300,000 world-class products.
• Products in stock from over 2,000 leading global brands.
• Free four-day door-delivery for these 300,000 imported products against INR payment anywhere in India.
Besides launching a new service on “Text Price Mobile services,” during Electronica 2010, RS Components also showcased products in MRO (maintenance, repair and operational) and test & measurement equipment.
Naturally, my instinct was to look for optoelectronics products, which are in abundance on the website – 6,788! The key ones that I found in optoelectronics were:
• Laser diodes: 9
• Laser modules: 85
• LEDs: 3,863
• LED accessories: 243
• LED lamps: 662
• Photoamplifiers: 34
• Photodetectors - logic output: 34
• Photodetector arrays: 36
• Photodiodes: 220
I had a closer look at laser modules and photodiodes. The variety of laser modules includes:
• Laser diode module accessories:17
• Laser diode modules: 57
• Laser diodes: 4
The laser modules are available from Global Laser, Honeywell and Picolas. Perhaps, RS Components could do well by offering more variety here, if possible.
The variety of photodiodes includes:
• Detectors - human eye sensitivity: 7
• Detectors - infrared: 53
• Detectors - infrared - metal can: 19
• Detectors - ultraviolet: 29
• Detectors - visible light: 55
• Slotted optical switches & reflective sensors: 2
The photodiodes are available from quite a large variety of suppliers such as Avago, Centronic, EG & G Vactec, Hamamatsu Photonic, Kodenshi, Lite-On, Optek, Osram Opto Semiconductors, SG LUX, Sharp, Vishay, etc.
Bhambri said that the company is targeting three main segments – the electronic design engineer, prototype engineer and maintenance engineer, respectively.
RS Components has recently made two upgrades on its website – by adding an Electronics Center and a Design Spark. The latter is an online gateway to connect the electronics community.
- A sub-field of photonics that pertains to an electronic device that responds to optical power, emits or modifies optical radiation, or utilizes optical radiation for its internal operation. Any device that functions as an electrical-to-optical or optical-to-electrical transducer. Electro-optic often is used erroneously as a synonym.
- A term used to describe a convex surface having too short a radius of curvature. To correct this condition, material is cut from the outer portion of the polishing tool.
MORE FROM PHOTONICS MEDIA