Search Menu
Photonics Media Photonics Marketplace Photonics Spectra BioPhotonics EuroPhotonics Vision Spectra Photonics Showcase Photonics ProdSpec Photonics Handbook

Fast Growth Seen in PET Procedures

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email Comments
DES PLAINES, Ill., Aug. 4 -- An estimated 456,200 positron emission tomography (PET) procedures were performed in the US in 2002 -- an increase of 79 percent from 255,300 procedures in 2001, according to a market report by IMV Medical Information Division, a marketing research and consulting firm.

The PET procedures were performed in 1080 hospital and non-hospital sites, using fixed PET scanners, including dedicated PET or PET/computed tomography (CT) scanners, mobile PET scanners or nuclear medicine cameras with coincidence detection. Oncology procedures comprise 92 percent of PET procedures, with cardiology and neurology applications comprising the remaining 8 percent, IMV said.

"This dramatic procedure growth is facilitated by the increased availability of options for providers to offer PET imaging services at their facilities," said Gail Prochaska, vice president of IMV. "Sites using mobile PET are up 122 percent, to 600 sites, and sites with fixed PET scanners are up 63 percent, to 325 sites, according to our 2002 PET Census. This growth in PET has also been facilitated by the increased availability of radiopharmaceuticals from commercial suppliers, as well as innovations in PET technology, such as PET/CT and improved crystal capabilities, to increase patient throughput and the quality of the imaging study."

For more information, visit:
Aug 2003
BiophotonicsIMV Medical Information DivisionNews & FeaturesPETpositron emission tomography

back to top
Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn YouTube RSS
©2021 Photonics Media, 100 West St., Pittsfield, MA, 01201 USA, [email protected]

Photonics Media, Laurin Publishing
x We deliver – right to your inbox. Subscribe FREE to our newsletters.
We use cookies to improve user experience and analyze our website traffic as stated in our Privacy Policy. By using this website, you agree to the use of cookies unless you have disabled them.