Search Menu
Photonics Media Photonics Buyers' Guide Photonics Spectra BioPhotonics EuroPhotonics Vision Spectra Photonics Showcase Photonics ProdSpec Photonics Handbook
More News

Nanotech Served to Kids

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email Comments
ALBANY, N.Y., Sept. 27, 2007 -- A hearty serving of nanotechnology designed to spark an interest in math and science is on breakfast menus for children throughout the Northeast, thanks to a new cereal box -- believed to be the first in the United States that features information on nanotechnology -- as part of a “Spotlight on Science” initiative developed by Golub Corp.'s Price Chopper Supermarkets with the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering (CNSE) at the University at Albany.

The cereal boxes define nanotechnology and discuss its role in improving our quality of life, for example, but contributing to advance in cell phones, video games, medical treatments and alternative energy sources. Children are urged to study math and science to become educated about the field that may define their careers as adults and are invited to learn more by visiting the CNSE Web site.

The cereal boxes also feature photos from the cleanrooms and laboratories inside CNSE’s Albany NanoTech complex, a $4.2 billion education, research, development and commercialization facility.

"According to the National Science Foundation, the US will need more than two million nanotechnology-savvy workers by 2014," the college said in a statement. "Of those, 20 percent are expected to be scientists, with the remaining 80 percent consisting of highly skilled engineers, technicians, business leaders, economists and others."

The National Science Foundation said the nanotechnology job market will require expertise ranging from two-year associate degrees to doctoral degrees.

Boxes of Price Chopper’s Koo-Kies and Peanut Butter Cocoa Spheres cereals, which feature kid-friendly information on the growing impact of nanotechnology on society, are on store shelves in 116 Price Chopper stores in New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania.

Three hundred middle- and high-school students from 11 schools throughout the Albany region received a first look at the new cereal boxes during a visit to CNSE’s Albany NanoTech complex for NanoCareer Day, a daylong event featuring presentations, tours and interactive demonstrations designed to address the national need to stimulate an interest in math and science among America’s younger generation.

Mona Golub, vice president of public relations and consumer services for the supermarket chain, said, “Given all of the technological distraction that cyberspace makes accessible to kids, it is truly rewarding to be able to impart relevant educational messages to them."

Schools participating in NanoCareer Day, and their counties, included Watervliet Jr/Sr High School (Albany), Woodland Hill Montessori School (Rensselaer), St. Anne Institute (Albany), Ichabod Crane Middle School (Columbia), Queensbury Middle School (Warren), North Albany Academy (Albany), Knickerbacker Middle School/Lansingburgh Central School (Rensselaer), Menands School District (Albany), The Albany Academies (Albany), Troy High School (Rensselaer) and Cambridge High School (Washington).

For more information, visit:
Sep 2007
The use of atoms, molecules and molecular-scale structures to enhance existing technology and develop new materials and devices. The goal of this technology is to manipulate atomic and molecular particles to create devices that are thousands of times smaller and faster than those of the current microtechnologies.
The technology of generating and harnessing light and other forms of radiant energy whose quantum unit is the photon. The science includes light emission, transmission, deflection, amplification and detection by optical components and instruments, lasers and other light sources, fiber optics, electro-optical instrumentation, related hardware and electronics, and sophisticated systems. The range of applications of photonics extends from energy generation to detection to communications and...
cereal box advertisingCNSE. University at Albany.Golub Corp.nanonanotechnologyNews & FeaturesphotonicsPrice Chopper Supermarkets. College of Nanoscale Science and EngineeringSpotligth on Science

back to top
Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn YouTube RSS
©2019 Photonics Media, 100 West St., Pittsfield, MA, 01201 USA,

Photonics Media, Laurin Publishing
x We deliver – right to your inbox. Subscribe FREE to our newsletters.
We use cookies to improve user experience and analyze our website traffic as stated in our Privacy Policy. By using this website, you agree to the use of cookies unless you have disabled them.