P-871 Compact Piezo Bender Actuator
Apr 2007PI (Physik Instrumente) L.P., Air Bearings and Piezo Precision MotionRequest Info
PI (Physik Instrumente) LP offers the P-871 closed-loop piezo bender actuator series. These unique long-travel piezo transducers are based on PI’s ceramic-encapsulated Picma series multilayer actuators.
The integrated high-resolution position feedback sensor provides up to 20 times better linearity, accuracy and repeatability than other open-loop piezo benders on the market. The P-871 bender actuators also achieve longer positioning ranges than other closed-loop piezo actuators, up to 1600 µm (1.6 mm), and response times in the millisecond range. (In open-loop mode, 2-mm travel is possible).
Picma bender actuators are superior to conventional actuators in high-endurance situations. They show substantially longer lifetimes both in static and dynamic operation, even in harsh environments. The monolithic, ceramic-insulated design makes polymer-film insulation unnecessary. Diffusion of water molecules into the insulation layer, the major cause of dielectric breakdown, is greatly reduced by the use of cofired outer ceramic insulation.
Typical applications include: scanning of optical components, beam deflection and stabilization, nanopositioning, wire bonding, fiber optic switches and alignment controllers. PI also offers the new E-651.1S and E-651.2S closed-loop controllers for operating the P-871 benders.
Features & Advantages:
- Closed-loop operation for 20 times better accuracy and repeatability
- Monolithic design for faster response and higher stiffness
- Significantly lower operating voltage, only +/- 30 V (3 to 10 times lower than conventional piezo benders)
- Ceramic insulation for extended lifetime (insensitive to water molecules)
- Ideal for scanning applications
- Vacuum-compatible versions available
- Increased dynamic performance and extra-wide temperature range to 300 ° F (150 °C)
- 100 percent vacuum-compatible