Close

Search

Search Menu
Photonics Media Photonics Buyers' Guide Photonics EDU Photonics Spectra BioPhotonics EuroPhotonics Industrial Photonics Photonics Showcase Photonics ProdSpec Photonics Handbook
More News
share
Email Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Comments

US Industry Drives Growth in R&D Spending

Photonics.com
Jun 1999
WASHINGTON, DC, June 16 -- US research and development spending reached an estimated $220.6 billion in 1998, according to a report from the National Science Foundation, with industry, not government, leading the way. Adjusted for inflation, this represents an increase of 5.3 percent over the estimated $205.6 billion spent on R&D in 1997. Industry has provided the largest share of financial support for R&D in the US since 1980, said Steven Payson, author of the report.
Industry--including industry-administered federally funded research and development centers--is expected to conduct 75.1 percent of the nation's total R&D in 1998. 85 percent of the funding for this R&D will come from industry itself; federal funding will account for the remaining 15 percent (down from an all-time high of 32 percent in 1987).

News & Features

Comments
Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy About Us Contact Us
back to top
Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn YouTube RSS
©2018 Photonics Media, 100 West St., Pittsfield, MA, 01201 USA, info@photonics.com

Photonics Media, Laurin Publishing
x We deliver – right to your inbox. Subscribe FREE to our newsletters.
We use cookies to improve user experience and analyze our website traffic as stated in our Privacy Policy. By using this website, you agree to the use of cookies unless you have disabled them.