- UK Senior Wins Astronaut Scholarship
University of Kentucky senior electrical engineering major Donnie Keathley will receive a $10,000 scholarship from the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation during a ceremony Sept. 18 on the UK's Lexington campus. Keathley's research is focused on photonics and optical-based devices, and through the university he is helping to develop surface-plasmon resonance sensors, a type of optical biochemical sensor for applications in environmental, medical and defense monitoring. Keathley is a member of Eta Kappa Nu, an electrical engineering honor society, and has co-authored two journal articles. The Astronaut Scholarship is the largest monetary award given in the US to science and engineering undergraduate students based solely on merit. Presenting Keathley with the scholarship will be Apollo 14 astronaut and moonwalker Edgar Mitchell, who will speak on his experience as one of only 12 men to have walked on the moon.
- Pertaining to optics and the phenomena of light.
- The technology of generating and harnessing light and other forms of radiant energy whose quantum unit is the photon. The science includes light emission, transmission, deflection, amplification and detection by optical components and instruments, lasers and other light sources, fiber optics, electro-optical instrumentation, related hardware and electronics, and sophisticated systems. The range of applications of photonics extends from energy generation to detection to communications and...
- A large amount of vibration in a system due to a small periodic stimulus that has about the same period as the natural vibration period of the system.
- 1. A generic term for detector. 2. A complete optical/mechanical/electronic system that contains some form of radiation detector.
MORE FROM PHOTONICS MEDIA