Witec Buys Majority Stake in OMT
ULM, Germany, July 28, 2010 — Optical and scanning probe microscope systems maker Witec GmbH announced Wednesday that it has strengthened its position in measurement technology for industrial applications by acquiring a majority stake in OMT (Optische Messtechnik) GmbH.
OMT provides optical metrology tools and is particularly strong in providing industrial process control of parameters such as film thickness, color, sheet resistance, moisture and chemical composition, Witec said. With the acquisition, Witec adds advanced optical probing solutions to its range of high-resolution structural, optical and chemical imaging instrumentation.
OMT will continue to operate as an independent company, Witec said.
"Our goal is the extension of our market-leading position in the field of 3-D surface analysis," said Dr. Joachim Koenen, managing director of Witec. "With the acquisition of a majority holding in OMT, we will be active in additional but distinct and vital sectors which will lead to further growth potential. Especially in the fields of in-line process control and industrial applications, OMT will contribute significantly to a successful extension of our market share."
For more information, visit: www.witec.de
- The science of measurement, particularly of lengths and angles.
- Pertaining to optics and the phenomena of light.
- process control
- The collection and analysis of data relevant to monitoring the rate and quality of industrial production, either continuously or in batches. Corrections can be made manually or automatically, via a feedback control loop.
- scanning probe microscope
- See atomic force microscope; magnetic force microscope; near-field scanning optical microscope; scanning tunneling microscope.
MORE FROM PHOTONICS MEDIA