It has long been a goal of business-to-business publishers, including Photonics Media, to serve as a resource to the industries they serve. As part of our continuing mission, we launched Industrial Photonics to support an important segment that is working to understand, develop and integrate lasers and other photonic technologies into a variety of manufacturing and other processes. We continue to build resources of interest to the industrial photonics community, many of which can be found at www.photonics.com.
There you will find a variety of information sources, including EDU, which can be accessed by a tab on the homepage. EDU features our interactive laser and industry timelines, the Photonics Spectrum Reference Chart and the Photonics Dictionary+. Our lexicon of industry terms has been building for decades and now, with your help, we are turning it into a multimedia one-stop information source. Check it out today at EDU.photonics.com, and stop back often to see what’s new, as our editors and readers add definitions, videos, and links to articles and other resources.
In our last issue, I mentioned the Industrial Forum (www.Photonics.com/forum), where readers can post questions and
problems in search of answers from the larger community. There has been some activity there that you’ll want to
explore. Maybe you have the knowledge to help those who have posted questions. In this issue, contributing editor
Hank Hogan – no stranger to industrial photonics – caught up with one of our comment posters and turned his dilemma into a Forum column, “Building an Ecosystem,” found on page 30.
Hank also contributed our cover story, “Lasers Power Improved Materials Processing.”
Also in this issue:
• “Laser-Power Measurement Solves Challenges for Materials Processing,” by John McCauley of Ophir Photonics, page 9.
• “Not All Beams Are Created Equal,” by Ra’ef Mikhail of Edmund Optics, page 12.
• “Ultrashort-Pulse Lasers Take the Heat Out of Materials Processing,” by Andrew May of Rofin-Baasel UK Ltd., page 15.
• “CMOS Sensors Boost High-End Industrial Vision,” by Pieter Willems of CMOSIS, page 17.
• “Vision-Enabled Robots Improve Automation,” by Greg Raciti of Faber Industrial Technologies and Steve Zhu of Teledyne Dalsa, page 20.
• “Test Your Industrial LCD/LED User-Interface IQ,” by Yasoob Ahmed of Lumex, page 22.
Enjoy the issue, and send your comments to me at email@example.com .